Occupy Hong Kong: Current Events

Umbrella-Revolution

1. Students in Hong Kong are currently protesting for Universal Suffrage, as well as the removal of Chief Executive C.Y Leung. They are occupying the main streets of Central, making half of Hong Kong, currently impassable, clogging traffic in other parts of the city. Even though many people are pro-protest, the reputation has gone down as business and economy in Hong Kong has come to a slow. The people of Hong Kong have come to call the protests the Umbrella Revolution, as when the police used tear gas to clear crowds, people stuck out umbrellas and it became a strong symbol for the people.

I chose to use this link: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29426277    This is because I wanted to learn a bit more about the background of Chief Executive C.Y Leung.

2. I think that the students should be able to continue protesting, because it really is for the better of Hong Kong’s future, however, I think that they shouldn’t keep holding the streets because they are clogging the city, and blocking main roads. For example, since the main site of the protest is in Central , the lead up to the Cross Harbour Tunnel in blocked, making it harder to cross to Kowloon. Also, the Admiralty MTR was blocked for a couple days, as well as MTR stations in Mong Kok, and Causeway Bay. I support the movement because I feel that if Hong Kong doesn’t get democracy, then over time Hong Kong will become more of Chinese Territory, and it won’t be different than any other Chinese city (Shanghai or Beijing etc.).

3. I am still a bit confused, and would like to learn about who is funding all of the supplies that go around the protests, as I went there a couple days ago, I noticed that food, candy, water, diapers, tissue boxes, and lots of other essentials are passed around, as well as medic tents placed along the streets. I would also like to learn about what C.Y Leung thinks about the protests, because he hasn’t expressed his opinion besides saying that the students should get off the streets. I am a bit confused about whether or not people have to answer to civic/academic duties while protesting, because as the evidence states, this is a student protest, and most of the protesters are students, but shouldn’t they be in class?

4. I think that to answer these questions, I would have to dig really deep, because I’ve already visited the protests, however, I think that maybe if I wanted to look deeper I could ask the people who hand out the supplies to learn more about their sources. However, since the protests are decaying, I don’t think it’ll be that easy to look around now.