1. Describe the physical properties of the substance that remains in the evaporating dish.
The salt turns out to be more powdery, different when we fist put it in. This makes me pounder if the time of the evaporation is shorter because of this. I also noticed that the salt formed on the sides, this made me think that this was because the water stays on the bottom because the salt cannot melt on the bottom.
2. Where is the water that was in the salt water solution?
It evaporated because of the heat.
3. What do you think the substance is that remained in the evaporating dish?
The remains in the dish is salt.
4. What could you do to identify the substance?
To look at the propitious of the material.
1. Explain why scientists would classify cereal as a heterogeneous mixture.
A heterogeneous mixture is when the particles are not uniform, and not distributed evenly. Take some coffee with unmelted bits for example. Since some chunks are left in the mixture, this coffee counts as a heterogeneous mixture. But if the bits are melted then the mixture is homogeneous. Now cereal floats on top of the milk, there are bits left over witch separates the materials.
2. After a minor traffic accident, the police noticed that a solution had spilled and run off
the roadway onto the shoulder of the road. Describe how you could recover a
sample of this solution from the dirt, rocks, and sand on the road’s shoulder.
Fist of all we can first pick out the rocks witch leves the dirt and sand. then we can use seve set to get the sand on one layer and the dirt on the other.
3. When a scientist mixed together a number of substances, light, heat, and gas were
produced. The scientist could not separate the new substance using physical
properties like solubility, density, or color. Did the scientist create a mixture, or did
she produce something else? Explain how the product she produced was like and/or
different from the homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures you have used.
She created a solution, or a homogeneous solution. This is because it dissolved together and is inseparable, so it’s a solution, which is homogeneous.