Grammar

HOW TO USE A COMMA

Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 6.28.59 pm

1. eg. My sister, Bobby, is lazy.

In this sentence, if you take out the word Bobby and the two commas, sentence would still make sense. “My sister is lazy”

2. eg. I would like to go play badminton, but I have to do my homework.

In this sentence I used a conjunction and a comma to link two independent clauses together. You can say I would like to go play badminton. I have homework to do.

3. eg. Lets eat, dad!

In this sentence we are addressing dad in particular, so we put a comma, then our object is more specific, if we did not have it, it would be “Lets eat Dad!”

I repeat: CANNIBALISM IS NOT ALLOWED!!!

4. I like pie, ice cream, and pancakes

In this situation, this comma is not always used well, this is known as the Oxford comma, or the Serial comma. This is made to stop list confusion people get in fights about this thing.

5. The Awesome, Funny Min Kyu.

When I wrote this, I used two adjectives to describe my self, but I had to put a comma in between for it to make sense.

6.Hi, My name is Bob, What is your name?

Hi, My name is Bob is the introductory phrases, but I need a comma there to indicate that it is an introductory phrase.

Punctuated dialogue

Today I am going to be speaking on how to punctuate dialogue because it is a simple thing that people always misuse.

There are two different types of dialogue, there is interrupted dialogue and non-interrupted dialogue. Simple, right? It is good to incorporate both of them into your story.

I shall give you a short dialogue between Mary and Fred.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 6.35.52 pmIn this exchange of speech. what is said is out lined in brackets, signifing the fact that THOSE EXACT WORDS ARE BEING “SAID”. If you do a thoughtshot, then you must do it in Italics.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 6.37.05 pmIf you saw this and spotted it, you would find that the punctuation mark is outside the quotation mark when Mary speaks, THIS IS INCORRECT. You need to have the punctuation mark before the quotation mark.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 6.52.51 pmYou need to make a new paragraph everytime there is a new speaker so you can avoid confusion over who is speaking.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 6.55.10 pmIf it is a conversation between two people, it does not need Mary said, Fred said, Mary yelled, Fred Shouted, Mary screamed and so on. You can go on and on about that. PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE TO READ THIS.

So… That is it for me now, and I will speak to you later about the new Grammar problem we have in my Language Arts Class.

Tenses

Hi guys, when we were doing our summative our teacher said that we had a lot of  tense problem and the pictures that I show you today are about …… TENSES,(obviously)

Here you go!

Tenses Table

Simple, Compound, and complex

Hi! I am going to be talking about sentences…

Here are a few photos that can explain it, Because I am lazy. (That was a compound complex sentence.)

1 Simple sentencesScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.37.46 pm

2 Compound sentencesScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.38.06 pm

3 Ways to make a complex sentenceScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.39.32 pm

5 Compound complex sentences Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.40.00 pm

4 An example of an complex sentence Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.39.03 pm

6 Conjunctions for compound sentencesScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.38.50 pm

7 Examples of a compound complex sentenceScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.39.39 pm

8 a complex sentenceScreen Shot 2014-10-16 at 2.38.30 pm

I am sorry if you did not get this(Simple sentence) If you need more help go to this link.(Another simple sentence)

COLONS

Salutations

lists

sentences

Only used after a complete sentence: then u can clarify or expand

Only Capitalise proper nouns

to check trade colon with namely

FULL SENTENCE:LIST

IN SALUTATIONS

DEAR BOBBY,/: