Tuff Time

Are the Socs and Greasers really that different? Why? Why not?

March 19, 2015

From the first 3 chapters, I can see some major differences between the Socs and Greasers. Such as, the fact that the Greasers stay on the East side of town and the Socs stay at the west side of town. And also the Socs seem to be a lot meaner and as the term as Cherry used “sophisticated” and Greasers “feel more violently”. So from the first 3 chapter I see that the Socs and Greasers are very different in terms of lifestyle and the way they act.

Are there any connections to can make to any of the characters and/or their situations?

March 19, 2015

From the first 3 chapters, I have made some connections to the situations that the Character in “The Outsiders’ have had. Such as Sodapop having the horse that wasn’t his. I have had friends that have cool stuff and when I was younger I would hang out with a friend who had a rocket ship that I really wanted. And whenever I went to his house I would always fight for the rocket because I thought it was always mine. Another connection is that when Ponyboy was screaming his head off and forgot that Cherry and Marcia were right there listen to them. I have had conversations with people that get me really frustrated and I forget, sometimes, that a guest or a bystander may be standing or sitting right next to me.

March 23

Why do you think Johnny killed Bob?

He killed Bob because Johnny was beat up by Bob a while back and he was the one that traumatised him. And as he said if he ever gets jumped again he will kill the one who jumped him.

What could have been some alternatives?

One alternative is that he could have just threatened to kill Bob but not actually do it. Another was he could have fought Bob, knocked him out, and ran away with Ponyboy.

What do you think Ponyboy and Johnny’s situation prompted Ponyboy’s recitation of “Nothing Gold Can Stay”?

Because before he ran away from Darry he was having the best of times with Cherry Valance, Marcia, and Johnny in the movie theater. And that changed into something that basically ruined his life and now he is forced into this situation which is hard for him. So during his time his Cherry he thought that it was the best time every like gold, but now the gold has left thus reciting the poem.

Who is innocent? Who has experience? (Think about all characters)

I think the innocent person here is Ponyboy because he was drowning in the fountain while the Socs were beating him up. Also his family, Sodapop, and Darry, are also innocent because they did not know what happened with Ponyboy until after Bob died. As for experience, I think Dally definitely has some experience of murder from New York so he is able to help Ponyboy and Johnny. It also seems that Johnny has some experience with this situation, being the one with the idea to change their hair and have a disguise.

March 25, 2015

1. What is the difference between Cherry Valance the Soc and Cherry Valance the dreamer?

Cherry Valance the Soc is a person who hangs with her boyfriend Bob and with other Socs. She also buys a lot of things and does only think about herself. Cherry the dreamer on the other hand is a person who lives simply, with what she has. She does not like fighting and wants to stop it.

2. Are Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dally heroes? Why? Why not?

The 3 boys are heroes because they did nothing wrong. The reason Johnny killed Bob was to protect Ponyboy and the reason Ponyboy ran with Johnny was to save him from the fuzz. And Dally hit Ponyboy to save him from the fire. From what these boys say, the things they did was wrong but what they did for was for the good and that is why they are all heroes.

3. How do we know that Darry does truly care for Ponyboy?

We can tell Darry truly cares for him by the way he shouts at him. He shouts at him at times where parents are worried about their own children, when they are out late, and when they don’t know where they are. He also does not hate Ponyboy because in Chapter 6 he cried when he was in the hospital not because he saw Ponyboy but because he was sorry that he hit him.

March 26, 2015

1. Write about what you understand about Cherry’s line “I could fall in love with Dallas Winston. I hope I never see him again or I will.”

What Cherry means by that is she is in love with Dally. But because of the social separation she will not be able to fall in love with him. And also the fact that she has/had a boyfriend makes Cherry have a limit on her relationship with him.

2.In realizing that Cherry has green eyes what does this signify for Ponyboy and his understanding of people and the world?

By realizing this he now knows that there is a middle ground between the 2 groups. There is a person who does not want to be a part of this fighting, or this problem between the 2 groups. And also for the fact that he hates guys with green eyes like socs, it does not mean that all people who are socs are all bad. There are some like Randy and Cherry that hate fighting that are good, and they just want to live life to the fullest, simply.