Social Studies Prejudice Unit Reflection

Write a blog post on reflecting on the first four lessons of the unit and on your classmates’ presentations. What did you learn about identity, stereotypes, prejudice, and racism? In what ways did your ideas change from the initial lesson when we created word webs on the white boards?

Make sure that your reflection responds to the following questions.

1. How does race shape the way we see ourselves and others?

2. To what extent do our ideas about race influence the choices we make?

23/3/2015

From this unit and the first four lessons, I’ve learnt that prejudice is similar to stereotypes, because they are basing someone on their outer appearance without getting to know them. Racism is also a form of stereotyping as it means discrimination against another race. Race shapes the way we see ourselves because society has told us that “this” race is better than “that” race. If someone told you that your race was weaker, you wouldn’t do what other races would do; for example, if someone told you Asians are good at math, to an extent you might think that since they are so good, we shouldn’t even try. Identity is who we are and where we come from, people should only judge others based on who they are, not what they look like.

My idea of stereotypes has changed because I used to think that all stereotypes were bad, but there are some that are actually compliments to a certain group of people. Also, my understanding of judging has really grown, now I know that judgement is based on many different things and it’s usually never about the person’s identity.