U3: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern – Performance and Reflection

During this unit, we were focusing on William Shakespeare’s plays such as Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. In this particular assignment, the goal was to perform a scene from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and then reflect on what we had done well. I’ve included this in my portfolio because I think it plays to my strengths which is public speaking. We didn’t get that many opportunities to practice throughout the year besides this assignment, novel lecture, and great poet’s project. My partner was Riana and we decided to perform a scene (page 42) that had a lot of energy to engage the audience. Some of drama/public speaking techniques we took into consideration was body language/positioning to open up and draw the audience to our dialogue. We also harnessed a lot of different tones of voice as speaking in a monotone voice would not be that interesting! Overall, I think this was a successful assignment as I got to grow in my public speaking.

Example of the scene below:

ROS: Heads. (He picks it up and puts it in his money bag. The process is repeated.) Heads. (Again.)

ROS: Heads. (Again.) Heads. (Again.) Heads.

GUIL (flipping a coin): There is an art to the building up of suspense.

ROS: Heads.

GUIL (flipping another): Though it can be done by luck alone. ROS: Heads. GUIL: If that’s the word I’m after.