Civil rights blog post

uptown-magazine-about-town-charlotte-discovery-place-museum

Write a blog post on your HKIS WordPress site reflecting on the first four key concepts of the unit and on your classmates’ presentations. What did you learn about identity, stereotypes, prejudice, and racism? In what ways did your ideas change from the initial lesson when we created word webs on the white boards?

After listening to my classmates presentations I thought some of the stories that I heard from my classmates were shocking because I never thought that anyone could say something offensive about a small part of your identity or a parent’s identity. There were also some stereotypes based on the way the person’s race, the colour of their skin or by the language, and that changed the attitude or the perspective of a person’s thought into thinking something else about that person. However, I feel like prejudice is starting to reduce and I think it’s because of small or big incidents that have occurred. For example improving the lives of African Americans. That process was a challenging process and I believe that lots of people have learnt from the civil rights movement and have found more empathy to each other.

Make sure that your reflection responds to the following questions.

1. How does race shape the way we see each other?                                                 I think race is a big part of how we see each other even though some people don’t admit it.Though lots of us know that judging someone based on their race isn’t nice at all, sometimes people still do it and I think it’s mainly because of previous knowledge or experiences that they have had. Racism will never go away and is always happening in the outside world. For example, employing people, choosing students for universities etc.  Though we all know that that isn’t that nice to think about a person based on their race, racism has improved compared to the olden days. The Civil right movement  was led because there was segregation between the whites and blacks, and the whites are higher class than the blacks and there are minor things, like facility access that changed the way people saw each other. The civil right movement came to a point where blacks thought that they were more superior than the whites. I think race strongly shapes the way we see each other because of the colour difference and people might feel like there is something different between their race and someone else’s race so they may treat that person with more respect or less respect. 

To what extent do our ideas about race influence the choices we make?

Lots of people do get influenced by the choices the make from a race. For example, some people may not want to buy mainland China products because they think the products are dirty and it has been through some chemicals. However, I try not to let race influence the choice I make because I know that there are different cultures and each culture has something more unique. As I mentioned before, though some people to know that getting influenced by race is a bad thing but they might actually get influenced by race.

1. ReRTo what extent do our ideas about race influence the choices we make?