MINP – September Written Response

After reading both the Harry Potter series and the Divergent series, I found many similarities between the theme, the characters, and the setting. I found the main character of Harry Potter, Harry, and the main character of the Divergent series, Tris, very similar. They both have a symbol that most represents them and the hardships that they have been through, Harry – the lightning scar on his forehead symbolizes how Voldemort killed his parents and attempted to kill him, while Tris has the three bird tattoos that identifies her bravery, because of the fears that she’s overcome throughout her life. Both Harry Potter and Divergent’s settings are also pretty harsh. I wouldn’t like to find myself someday in their dystopian world. While Harry Potter’s location in the first few books are mild, I would absolutely not want to be involved in a scene where there is a battle against Death Eaters. On the other hand, I would never want to wake up in Tris’ society where people are sorted and are indirectly threatened to be kicked out of the groups they thought they belonged to. Lastly, I found that both books had a lot to do with hurt and betrayal. Expectedly, people feel betrayed and hurt a lot in daily lives, but Harry and Tris have both felt misery from people they or their relatives are close to. For example, Harry’s parents both died because of how Peter Pettigrew, one of James Potter’s childhood best friend disclosed their hiding spot to Lord Voldemort. He then also accused Sirius Black of supposedly revealing their hiding spot. In Tris’ case, her own brother betrayed her for a cause that he didn’t know was true or not. He took Erudite’s side, against his own sibling that he knew for his entire life.