End of Year Reflection- Semester 2

1. When looking at my Unit 3-6 portfolio, I see my greatest achievement has been…

When looking at my unit 3-6 portfolio, I would have to say my greatest achievement was probably the Unit 5 Novel Theme Lectures or the the Unit 4 Table Teaching presentation. Those summatives enabled me to showcase my skills in close-reading analysis and ability to form a claim and back it up with evidence and line of reasoning. Those summatives also pushed me out of my comfort zone as I had to make sure I communicated my argument coherently and effectively as there was a time limit that I had to stay within.

2.  When looking at my feedback on my work and Mastery data (As found in schoology), I noticed?

I noticed that my skills in C9, C11, C7, have improved over the course of the year. My ability to present my arguments using wide-ranging vocabulary has improved as we continued to hone our presenting and analysis skills. With summatives like the Hamlet shared inquiry, the Novel table teaching project, the Novel lecture theme, and the Sociogram recording, I was able to speak about the importance of character development, significance of text, plot, setting, and author’s intent.

3. Considering most of second semester was virtual learning, I’d like to say…

I managed to do my best to keep up with the assignments and stay on top of my learning so I could be prepared for the AP Exam. Even though virtual lessons were difficult to attend some days, I managed to show up to class awake and ready to learn. There were often times where I did feel like I was quite behind, especially with the Hamlet readings, but discussing in class the questions and watching the play helped me to catch up and prepare for the Hamlet shared inquiry. Virtual learning also helped me to strengthen my discipline and accountability. I learned that I had to be completely responsible for my learning, and if I didn’t prepare for class beforehand or didn’t do the classwork, it was my fault that I would be left behind. Especially since AP Exams were coming up, practicing for the AP Exam was one of my priorities and so when we had our flexible class schedule the week before AP exams, I did my best to use that time productively and do past AP Exam questions.

4.  When reviewing my goal for Semester 2, I can say that I…

My goal for semester 2 was to be able to completely rely on the text to create my claims, my evidence, and my reasoning. I wanted to be able to write a well written essay that demonstrated my ability to analyze a text and back up my claims. Essentially, my goal was to be able to write a good Q2 or Q3 essay. All the summatives we have done in AP Literature were all skills building up to the essay writing and I can say that the summatives helped me tremendously to solely rely on the test and not use outside resources to build my argument. I’m really happy that I am now able to create an argument and develop a clear line of reasoning in both writing and speaking. That is something that I am really proud of!

5. A reflection on a Unit 3,4, or 5 EQ is…?

What are the complexities and paradoxes of “family”?

When I was doing a practice Q2 for the 2019 FRQ, I read an excerpt from The Rise of Silas Lapham. The prompt asked students to write about the significance of family dynamics and relationships between the Laphams. Because the sisters Irene and Penelope are part of a close-knit family, their connection from society is lost and they are unable to fit in and understand how socializing and about forming relationships with people other than their family. Writing this made me realize that our family ties either help us or hurt us. Family can build our character but it can also be the reason why we are unable to connect with others. Sometimes family can help us by teaching us and guiding us to think outside what we are taught, and think progressively. But other times, family can hurt us by only teaching us what they deem is “safe,” “good” or “moral.” For example, the Lapham family is extremely close with each other, they only consult with each other and no one else. They know the ins and outs of each family member. This is the main reason why the girls are unable to step out of their family circle that easily, and are outsiders of society. One example in real life of a family limiting their children from outside knowledge is this new TLC show I have been interested in called “Welcome to Plathville.” This religious family is an example of how family can hurt ones’ connection to the outside world/society and keep them a stranger to forming their own worldview.