MINP Oct #1: Augustus Waters: Simply Ineffable

Prompt: Fake obituary

Book: The Fault in Our Stars – Augustus Waters

*WARNING: SPOILER ALERT*

Augustus Waters

Augustus Waters once said that “the world is not a wish granting factory” (Green, pg. 182).

Augustus was born on March 14, 1994 in Indianapolis. I first saw him at the Support Group, a tall, extremely handsome young man, with intelligent blue eyes and mahogany hair. At the age of 15, Augustus was diagnosed with a touch of osteosarcoma, yet he wasn’t afflicted by it until two years later. But that’s just the basic facts about him.

Augustus wasn’t only a cancer kid who was in special need. First, let me make this clear; he was my boyfriend. I won’t talk about our love story because I can’t talk about it and not break down. But let me tell you this: not many people knew who he really was. Basketball teammates had wrote on his wall page, extolling his natural talent in basketball. Someone I’d never heard of wrote “I love you, bro. See you on the other side” (Green, pg. 264). I even saw one anonymous person’s comment on how they “just heard that Gus Waters died after a lengthy battle with cancer. Rest in peace, buddy” (Green, pg. 266). At that point, I was certain that these people never truly knew who Gus was. Sure, he was a exceedingly talented basketball player; but he told me he disliked basketball. He didn’t die after a lengthy battle with cancer; “he died after a lengthy battle with human consciousness” (Green, pg. 266). Augustus was a boy with purpose, with intent, with knowledge of what he was saying. He understood human nature, he understood me, and he understood the world. I couldn’t find many people like him in this world.

I then asked myself, what would I write on his wall page?

To be honest with you, I couldn’t think of anything.

Augustus Waters is just… ineffable. His philosophical thinking, his peculiar yet cogent metaphors, his obsession with gaming, his… they just couldn’t be summarised into “I love you, bro. See you on the other side” (Green, pg. 264). From the moment we had the small debate on oblivion, the cigarette metaphor, our trade of favourite books, the email he sent to Van Houten, our “okay”, his passion for symbolism… the list goes on into infinity. I cannot think of one moment when I could describe my feelings toward him, for they were beyond words. It was just… a infinity. “Our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful” (Green, pg. 260), as I spoke to Augustus on the day of his pre-funeral.

In the eulogy Gus wrote for me, Gus mentions that “almost everyone is obsessed with leaving a mark upon the world. We all want to be remembered. I do, too. That’s what bothers me most, is being another unremembered casualty in the ancient and inglorious war against disease” (Green, pg 310-311). In a way, I think he’s wrong. Gus was never known for “being another unremembered casualty”; he was a hero in the eternal war against human consciousness. As Gus mentioned, “the real heroes anyway aren’t the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention” (Green, pg. 312). The very fact that he managed to notice the definition of a real hero makes him a hero. He noticed that “grief does not change you. It reveals you” (Green, pg. 286). He noticed that “without pain, how could we know joy?” (Green, pg. 35). He recognised that “the thing about pain, is that it demands to be felt” (Green, pg. 63). I mean, how often do you run into a guy like that?

But in the end, “Augustus Waters died eight days after his pre-funeral, at Memorial, in the ICU, when the cancer, which was made of him, finally stopped his heart, which was also made of him” (Green, pg. 261).

I can’t say how grateful I am to meet Augustus Waters. I can’t say I want him to be the hero who outlasts death, because as Gus said, “the world is not a wish granting factory” (Green, pg. 182).

~ Hazel Grace

MLA: Wikia, The Fault in Our Stars. “Augustus Waters.” The Fault In Our Stars Wiki. Wikia, n.d. Web. 15 Oct. 2015.

Green, John. “The Fault in Our Stars Quotes.” The Fault in Our Stars Quotes. Goodreads, n.d. Web. 15 Oct. 2015.