NaNoWriMo – Reflection

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 1.29.11 PM

This is me and Weilyn. We just finished our NaNoWriMo story, which is 30,076 words.

Overall, how did NaNoWriMo go? What went well? What did not go well?

What went well for NaNoWriMo was that both of were really determined to get a lot of words. Over Thanksgiving holidays, we really crammed the writing into every spare minute, which resulted into over thirty thousand words. Also, we often reached to a general consensus during the planning and outline of the story, agreeing on what should happen next in the story plot.

I think what didn’t go well was that we didn’t spread the writing evenly. In the beginning of November, we wrote the outline, then occasionally someone would add a couple thousand words. At the second to last week we started to panic about having not written anything much, yet that week was a test week. So I think we should’ve planned ahead instead of doing it all in three days.

What did you learn about yourself? (Did you grow in writing or discipline or any other areas)?

I learned that I don’t like writing in limited time, because I believe that creative writing, that is, good quality creative writing, only comes naturally through the course of time. So when there’s pressure and other influences, the good writing and good ideas won’t come naturally as it would if you took your time. Plus, cramming it all into a month would make you eventually get sick and tired of writing about the same story. On the other hand, if you leave the story be, you’ll naturally want to go to it because either you miss writing about it or you simply like writing. I’ve realised that applies to me, because during the month I got sort of sick of writing, yet I knew that if I didn’t have a time limit I would actually like writing the story.

What is the end result? Are you cleaning up a short part to get published?

Currently we’re still at the middle of the rising action, not even close to the climax. We’re thinking of completing it if we have free time, clean it up and find a publisher or self publish it.