Blind Drawing Reflection

Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project?
While working on this project, I learned how to utilize my sense of touch to better my art, particularly while blind drawing my self-portrait. I had never thought about the fact that more than just your sense of sight can help contribute to making art, so it was really valuable to expand that mindset.

Did you gain skills with familiar materials?
I had never tried sketching with a pen before, so it was interesting to see the difference in drawing with a pencil versus a pen. I was forced to put much more thought into each mark I made and made the process much more thoughtful.

Did you try something that you weren’t sure about as part of this project?
While working blind, I had to be more comfortable with trusting my senses and not worrying too much about the end product. It was nice to experience art with no pressure for it to look perfect or high expectations. It showed me a more relaxed side of art that I am excited to explore.

Did you pick a material or technique that was new or different over something that was familiar?
The material we used was pretty familiar, but the technique was not. I had never tried blind drawing so it was very exciting to explore a new method.