Contour Still Life (S)

What are some of the key elements that made you decide on the chosen composition?

I picked these objects because I felt that they represented shapes and perspectives that were both achievable and challenging at the same time. Although I was scared to tackle the drawing of the flowers, I wanted to challenge myself outside of my comfort zone.

What is the focal point of your piece?

The focal point of my piece was the elevated bowl-like object that had a candle resting in it. These elements make up the focal point largely because they are more in the foreground of the still life than any of the other objects.

What were some of the techniques you used to make the objects look 3 dimensional and how do you feel you were successful in achieving this?

I tried to make the back of the box clear so it looked more like a rectangular prism than just a rectangle. I also thickened some of the lines to give off a more 3-dimensional look.

What were some of the main challenges you had when working on the piece?

I found it difficult to maintain the perspective of the still-life. It was always very tempting to draw the objects as if they were head-on, just because that would be the easiest to achieve.

How did you overcome these challenges?

It was always helpful to review some of the videos and lessons from previous classes to remind myself how to create perspective. I also decided to not overthink the perspective and work more off of what I was actually seeing.

What are your top 3 tips for next year’s students doing this project?

I would tell them to not worry too much about details, focus on the big picture, make sure you are happy with your perspective after the pencil drawings.

How have you grown as an artist?

I think I’ve grown in that I am so much more comfortable with shapes and perspective than I ever was before. Although I think I can continue improving, I’m happy with the progress I’ve made since the beginning of this course.

Was the journey (project) relatively easy or hard? and why?

In my opinion, the project was relatively hard just because I found myself wanting to rush the process when I just needed to take it step by step. I also kept getting caught in the details of my still life which I still wish I could change.

Which techniques did you try, and which did you feel were successful, and which were not so successful?

I tried using the rule of thirds when choosing the view I wanted to use for the skill life which I think added interesting dynamics to the drawing. I also tried to use line thickening to add perspective. This, however, did not go too well for me as when I would mess up I would just end up thickening lines too much.

How do you think you could improve on your final Still Life Contour Drawing?

To improve my final Still Life Contour Drawing I would probably blacken parts of the background to add a more dynamic perspective to the final piece.