Final Pot

Photo on 3-12-14 at 9.52 AM

The starting point of this sculpture was from a greek vase that looked like: url

Cited

I changed the design a bit by making the bit going out smaller and the part going back in bigger. The research on Greek/Chinese pottery really helped because when we first started this project, I had no idea about what I was going to do.

I think the bow was pretty much my only own idea. I’m really proud of it because I was never one to sculpt realistic objects, but it turned out quite well.

I think that pottery a relevant form of art today. However, there aren’t as many old fashioned pots now, usually people make pots that are shaped like objects, for example:

b5234e47df19c01a84e69dedd231064a

 

Cited

As I mentioned earlier, I based my pot off greek pots. I think that my pot is an imitation because I didn’t really put MY view of how I saw the pot. I kind of just copied the design of the pot, making some minor changes and adding the bow feature.

If I could do something to change my work, I would definitely make the pot more symmetrical. The fact that it is not symmetrical just bothers me. I would also make sure that my pot is blended much smoother, because it’s quite rough.

 

Ceramic Lantern

(photo not yet available)

This is the lantern I made and it’s based off my “version” of Totoro, which is a character from a japanese anime movie. We first started off making the main structure. This was where we used a small cylinder container and covered it with newspaper. Then, we made a pinky-thick flat circle that was slightly bigger than the container and used that as the base. After that, we used slabs and made the sides, the container acting as support. We used the scratch and slip method to blend all the pieces together. Finally, we started to design the lantern. At first, I was really clueless as to what I was going to make and I settled with making a cat. However, I changed my mind and decided to make Totoro instead.

In my opinion, the most important aspects of creating my lantern was the positive and negative areas because those were the areas that the light would be shining out of. It affected my whole piece if I used a negative space in certain places, so I first planned what features would be positive or negative. I tended to put negative spaces along the top and positive spaces along the bottom, so you wouldn’t be able to see the candle, but rather the candlelight, which, in my opinion, gives off a fancier effect. However, this is only because of the way I designed the lantern, sometimes there’s an opening at the bottom of the candle that compliments the design and I think it looks really cool, but my design would look quite strange with small negative spaces at the bottom.