Create a new blog post titled, “Separating Solutions”
Categorize it in POM and Science
Make sure to have the following in the post:
Lab # 2 Questions: Answer the following questions onto your blog post…
1. Describe the physical properties of the substance that remains in the evaporating dish.
It is flakey and looks thin, It looks a little bit different from salt, but is the same.
2. Where is the water that was in the salt water solution?
It evaporated into the air.
3. What do you think the substance is that remained in the evaporating dish?
4. What could you do to identify the substance?
Compare it to like substances and find the physical properties.
Activity 4 Follow up Questions about the reading and the whole Separating Solutions section
1. Explain why scientists would classify cereal as a heterogeneous mixture.
Because you can easily separate the mixture.
2. After a minor traffic accident, the police noticed that a solution had spilled and run off
the roadway onto the shoulder of the road. Describe how you could recover a
sample of this solution from the dirt, rocks, and sand on the road’s shoulder.
You could filter the solution out of the rock and dirt mixture.
3. When a scientist mixed together a number of substances, light, heat, and gas were
produced. The scientist could not separate the new substance using physical
properties like solubility, density, or color. Did the scientist create a mixture, or did
she produce something else? Explain how the product she produced was like and/or
different from the homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures you have used.
They produced a compound because you can’t even separate the mixtures without another chemical reaction.