Python Lesson 1 Reflection

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 9.49.13 pm Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 9.49.38 pm

In this class I learnt a lot about how to use the print function. I learnt that if I want to print out a specific phrase, then I need to put it into quotation marks in parentheses after the word print. However, if I wanted to write one phrase in many different ways, I need to assign is as a variable and then make it uppercase or lowercase using the str. lower or str. upper function. I also learned that for user input it required to be a variable with an integer to be compared with another integer. If the input is not a variable number then it cannot be compared to a variable.

I think this connects to design thinking because when programmers are trying to create something, they ask the public for what they want and try to program that. If the public wants a certain website for a certain function then the programmer can create that website. The creator can then test out the product and see if the public likes it and the go back to prototyping.

I can create effective surveys to pinpoint a certain Point of improvement to empathise with my audience. I can prototype a product with an end design in mind. I can create surveys to see if my audience likes my product.

Pecha Kucha idea development

Design Thinking Sentence: Our students have problems with the location, space, and the locks of their lockers, so we have decided to give students temporary lockers in 2-3 locations with student id’s (or temporary passes incase of lost id’s) as the locks.

We first decided on a problem in school, and we chose lockers as a problem in the school. We then developed questions to ask to our peers about lockers to try and focus in on what we wanted to improve. We had many complaints about the location of the lockers, so we decided to put lockers in 2-3 locations around the school. People also had issues with their locks so we decided to use a control panel type of lock. This control panel requires students to swipe their id cards to gain access to the panel. We created a model of it using cardboard and made a questionnaire. The people who filled out the questionnaire seemed to like the idea.

Making a backpack

HS students at HKIS are generally not satisfied with their bags so we created backpacks with style and comfort. Our initial design was different from our final design. We were initially going to put many pockets and padding on the back. Unfortunately we didn’t manage to even put straps on our backpack, so it would be a waste of time to think about the padding. We also couldn’t put multiple compartments because we were using cardboard so it was difficult. The idea that we had was when we thought of putting straps on the backpack. One of my group mates went to get something and he came back with string for the straps. I was excited because I thought that we would finally have straps in the bag, but unfortunately they didn’t work.We were stuck on making the straps because nothing we were doing was working. In the end we decided to just let the person who buys the backpack use tape to stick the backpack onto them.We didn’t meet our partners needs because we did not manage to do what the design wanted us to do. We ended up doing the exact opposite of the point of the backpack, therefore not meeting their needs.IMG_4213 IMG_4214 IMG_4216 IMG_4219

Programming a peer and tying shoelaces

We were asked to program a peer to get multiple hkis shields around the room. My partner was programming me, so he wrote the program. We were successful because the spot that we started in had many shields so it was easy to get them as they were so dense. We encountered a problem when we realised that we needed to communicate to the “robot” to reach out to get the shields. Although this wasn’t too much of a problem, it would still take time to get the shields, time that we didn’t have. Another problem we encountered ¬†was when we were one step short of getting something, causing us to not get the fourth shield, which would have meant winning. We could improvise on the spot better.

 

Tying a shoelace: In this activity we had to figure out how to tell a robot how to tie a shoelace. I think that we did it in a good amount of steps which was 5. I think that we could have done it more clearly and in less steps. When we tried out the program that we made, we had to make some changes because it wasn’t clear enough. I think that this taught me a good lesson about testing the program.