The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney – Reading Blog 16

Book # 16                               Words: 41909                                    Date: 18/Nov/2014

Title:   The Face On The Milk Carton                                          Author: Cooney, Caroline B.                              

Genre ~ Fiction Type: Mystery     

• Opening Sentence:

Janie finished her essay.

• Favourite word / phrase / sentence:

But did love conquer all? Could love conquer the theft of a child?

• Vocabulary and new terms (with part of speech) and definition:

Cyanide – a salt or ester of hydrocyanic acid (noun)

• Reflection, Connection & Personal Response:

When I began this book, I thought this book was like any normal realistic story and not mystery. I thought this was mystery because I have a unit that is called Mystery Mania. When I started to get to the middle of the book I started to feel empathy for my character Janie. I felt empathy for her because if I were her I would be scared about these two people that I called my parents. I would be scared because of all my life, they have been caring for me but why would they capture me? Near the end I was relieved as well because the truth was revealed. I thought my character Janie changed a lot throughout the book. At first, Janie used to be a carefree type of girl that didn’t really care about anything except her family and her studies. But now at the end when I look at her I see a type of girl that is aware about things like the truth about life and how hard it is. I also see a type of girl that is now observant about everything. She is also curious too. At the end of the book, it gave a little teaser about the next book in the series. It was about her going to visit her biological family. Instead of leaving that family alone, she decided to look for them and contact them to say that she was okay. In the teaser, although the main character was Janie, the story was not in Janie’s point of view. It was in her brother’s point of view instead. In this I then got to know a bit about Janie’s brother. At this point, I see Janie’s old family as a really caring big family. But I also see that Janie’s twin brother as a person who never cared about anything too. I learnt from this book that anything could change in a blink of an eye. For example, for Janie when she realized that her face was on the milk carton. This then changed her family because she got curious and searched for the family she actually came from. For many other people it could be that somebody dies or something happened to their home. So now I know to treasure what I have. My family, my dog, my grandma, my school and all of my personal items because it or they could just go away in a second. I recommend this book to anyone near the age of twelve because this book is an engaging and good for people in that age to know to treasure what they have.