City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare – Reading Blog 28 (29)

Book #   28 (29)                                  Words: 120608                                  Date: 4/Mar/2015

Title:  City of Ashes                                                                 Author: Clare, Cassandra                                  

Genre ~ Fiction Type: Fantasy, Adventure         

• Opening Sentence:

The formidable glass and steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.

• Favourite word / phrase / sentence:

She smiled fleetingly. “We were human once.”

• Vocabulary and new terms (with part of speech) and definition:

Condominium: A condo

• Reflection, Connection & Personal Response:

I personally loved this book so much that I had to read the second book right away. From the last book, she left us at a cliffhanger. I really didn’t like it so I had to read the other book to continue my fantasy. This second book is as good as the first one I had read. This book does have the same concept as the first one and I like that because it is so appealing to me that I find it so hard to tear my eyes away from the page. I feel that if I didn’t read the book right away, I would think that the book would just vanish into blank pages. When I started this book I felt this tension between Jace and Simon, Clare’s friends. To me, I think that this tension is going to mess up the time when they stop the bad guy, Valentine. Another issue is the fact that his step mother or the woman who took her in after he had gone from Valentine, his father had threatened Jace and set him an ultimatum of saying that he didn’t like and hated Valentine or else if he didn’t he wouldn’t be allowed to stay in their house. Like every son or daughter, you cannot say that when this particular person raised you. Although Valentine is the bad guy in this situation, Valentine still did act as the fatherly figure in Jace’s life and Jace cannot thank him enough for doing that. I can connect with him because if I were ever threatened by a person to say that I hated my parents, I would automatically be set back because why should I hate them? They had raised me to become who I am today and they took care of me. I once again think that everyone should read this book, but like always, in a book with a series, you should always read the first book before moving on to the second book.