Robotics Final Summative

Final Robotics Summative

Introduction

For my robotics I decided to make a lego claw machine for my final summative and it wasn’t that good of a project. This is my final robotics summative. [1]

Collaborative Process

For my collaborative process, I didn’t work with anyone and was a solo project, and I feel like if I had someone else work with me, I could’ve had a better chance of finishing this project because the planning was easy but the I had to build a lot which took up a lot of my time. So basically I don’t have anything to say for my collaborative process as I worked by myself.

Idea Development Process

In the beginning I was hoping to make a robotic hand that could hold anything but then I realized that was too difficult to make and then I decided to make a robotic claw like the ones you’d find from disneyland but then I realized that was quite easy so I decided to make it a little bit more challenging by making a lego claw machine. In the beginning I wanted to challenge myself and I decided to make a whole claw machine with cardboard too and a coin slot which you can use to use the machine, and a joystick but in the end all I ended up making was making the claw be able to move up down left right and have claw life up and down and I couldn’t even input the program in.

Technical Process

I first tried making my claw machine, I made it completely out of lego [1], then I realized that the claws and the motors couldn’t withstand the weight so I decided to make a part of it out of matrix and I needed some of the lego for the motor. Then I made the claw rope. I first tried a normal rope and it was hard to put all the string to on the lego piece and would slip off and I started making the rope with lego and it was quite successful. I basically made all the motors [2] and all I needed was the base. I started building the base to hold it up. I collected all the materials to build it and to sustain it and the next day they were all gone. So I went on to just use the straight metal parts instead and it could not sustain itself. Until this day, I always went on break and lunch to work on my project but I guess I got fed up and gave up with the project. So when I came back the next few days, the lego was broken because that was a weak point [3] and it was holding almost all of the structure falling apart. Then I was sort of stuck. There were no materials that I could use and I got these things in the photo and I tied them with a string onto the claw machine [4]. Once I was done with that I had 3 days left and I had to make sure that I finished the project I had to finish programming, wiring, programming for the matrix motors and I think it was just too much and I could complete it, but I just didn’t have enough time to make it work. The motors here were very wobbly and could’ve fallen very easily and I needed to improve and I sort of gave up and I’m currently writing this blog post.

1. All the parts that I made out of legos before I realized it wouldn’t work

Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 7.58.07 PM Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 7.57.58 PM Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 7.57.52 PM Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 7.57.38 PM

2.

Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 7.58.54 PMScreen Shot 2015-11-28 at 7.58.45 PM

3. The lego with the strain of the whole building

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 12.06.52 AM

4. This made the building much more stable

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 12.13.08 AM

Concerns or Celebrations

This project was almost full of concerns, that I made the whole thing out of lego and I had to make it all over again with matrix. Which took quite a bit of my time, my motor which had the lego claw machine is very fragile and still is to end of the day. I also lost all my materials when I put it in my lockers, I also had almost no materials. New materials came though on the day when I stopped working. The whole structure was very fragile. I didn’t have enough time too.

Look at images above.

Knowledge I Can Transfer

I honestly think that I was just unlucky with the materials part, but I think that I should prevent that from happening if I get the materials first and keep it hidden or I should’ve locked my locker. But the key was broken so I don’t think there was any point to it. Again I think that I should’ve been more prepared to this and planned more well and thought more about the errors that could’ve happened during this project.

Final Project

This was how my project looked like in the end of the project.