Romeo and Juliet

I am quite happy with my mom and I’s responses, since we both principally agreed on who is my “perfect mate”. She said that he has to have empathy and compassion. These traits are important to me because if they are not caring, they won’t be right for me since I want a respectful and chivalrous mate. Another trait that my mom wanted was intelligence. I also want him to be clever because he has to be able to get a job, and he has to be hard working as well. Finally, my mom said that she wanted him to have a pleasant appearance. I agree with this as well because looks are not as important as their personality, but it still does count. Also, he has to be a bit taller than me since I want a taller mate.   For the traits she would consider, she told me that I should choose who I want since it really isn’t her decision. I wanted someone clever and caring, who loves music, and who is okay appearance wise. Overall, my mother and I have basically the same answers, and basically both agree on my “perfect mate”. This is a positive thing since I value her opinion, and mine as well. So having the same perspective as her is important.

Visual Literacy:

Link to Visual Literacy

Romeo and Juliet:

Life

I do not know much about Shakespeare, but I do know A bit about his legacy. Shakespeare had written many famous plays and had even created some of the English language we use today. Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet are one of his most famous tragedies, and it was even re-enacted in our very own high school.

• What was Shakespeare’s date of birth?

Shakespeare was born a few days before his baptism on the 26th of April 1564.

•  Where was he born?

Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire.

•  Where did he go to school, and what was it like?

It is likely that Shakespeare had gone to school at the local King Edward VI Grammar School in Stratford.

•  What do we know about his family?

We know that his father, John Shakespeare, was a glove maker and wool merchant. He also had a mother called Mary Arden who was a daughter to a landowner from Wilmcote, South Warwickshire.

•  Why did he go to London?

Shakespeare had gone to London to pursue his career in theatre.

•  With which theatres and companies was Shakespeare involved?

Shakespeare was one of the manager partners of the Lord Chamberlain’s Company. The company were aware of two theaters in the Southwark area of London, called the Globe and the Blackfriars.

•  Who were Shakespeare’s contemporaries?

A critic called Robert Green was one of Shakespeare’s contemporaries describing him in 1952 as an “upstart crow”.

•  When did he die and what is special about this date?

Shakespeare died on 23 April 1616, and this is special since he was thought to be born and dead on the same day.

•  What did he leave his wife in his will?

Shakespeare had left his ‘second-best bed’ to his wife, for an unknown reason.

Romeo and Juliet:

Genre

• How many plays did Shakespeare write?

Shakespeare had written 38 plays in his lifetime.

• What three categories can we put his plays into?

His plays were categorized into tragedies, comedies, and histories.

• Name two plays from each category.

Two plays from the tragedies portion are Romeo and Juliet, and Hamlet. Two plays from the comedies section are The Merchant of Venice, and the Twelfth Night. Finally, two plays from the histories area are Henry V, and King John.

Romeo and Juliet:

Golden Globe

I actually do not know much about this famous theatre. I have never even heard of it, but now I know it is linked with Shakespeare in some way. I cannot wait to find out more information about it though.

Interesting Facts:

• There were doorman that kept pick pocketers and trouble makers out of th theatre
  • During Shakespeare’s time London had animal baiting where people would watch dogs fight larger animals like bulls or bears
  • The poor stood in a Central yard to watch plays with no roof
  • The rich were sat in comfort in covered galleries around the yard
  • The “groundlings” would mingle with the rich
  • The area was very dirty and people rarely bathed (no bathrooms)
  • Rich gentleman smoked long sticks of Tobacco from the Europeans
  • Some people skipped church and work for plays
  • Playbills explained play information
  • Richard Bubage was famous actor in plays
  • Closer and the more comfortable the more expensive
  • There were thieves who cut purses for money (called ‘cutpurses’)