SML Reflection

My topic was writing a story about a girl with Type One Diabetes going to a new school.

One major challenge which I faced was being placed in a group that didn’t correlate with my topic. I overcame the challenge by receiving advice from outside of the class from people who knew more about it.

My project has changed from being a plan for a long and glorious novel to being a shorter and less glamorous story.

I am proud of what I’ve accomplished in the foreign learning environment and how well I’ve worked so far. I do not feel proud, though, of how much I have written considering how much I once strived for.

I don’t exactly feel creative because during the group reflections during which we are supposed to encourage each other, I don’t really receive the comments or support one would hope for. A condition that would help me feel creative is to be in an environment with people whose projects are more similar/related to mine. 

A specific sample of my learning is the opening paragraph of my story:

The one thing no one ever told me about being a teenager is that the more you try to fit in, the more you end up standing out. This is true when it comes to personality, but even more with appearance. You can see it in movies or TV shows, where the main character is with a group of people and when they start to do their hair like everyone in the group and talk like everyone in the group, they mess up on little details and it eventually becomes too painful to watch. Appearances are important. That is, after all, the first thing noticed by a stranger. When a stranger sees you for the first time, they don’t think about how many languages you can speak or how good of a driver you are. The don’t wonder where you’ve been or where your parents met. They just notice the things that stand out, like the chord traveling from the back of my shoulder to my hip. Like the scars on Abe’s knuckles from the sun. Like the wheelchair supporting Kelsey’s lower body. This all they seem to notice. This is all they seem to care about. This is all they seem to see.

I find the structure of SML this year far more frightening, as well as frustrating than last year’s. Last year, my Social Studies teacher did the project and it was all in his room and working only with him and my classmates whom I’d worked with and known for at least half a year. This was far more comfortable because I knew my teacher before the project and was able to take greater risks and trust that I would have his support. I also knew my classmates and was comfortable to take risks with them. I also like how the presentations last year were only to your class and the parents because it was a smaller group and I was far more relaxed about presenting than this year.