A Letter to a Future Grade 6 Student

Dear Future Grade 6 student,

Firstly, I wanted to say that 6th grade is actually very fun, and it is not that bad.  The best experiences that I have personally experienced in Grade 6 this year was mainly the science labs.  Not only are these labs very educational, but they are also very fun to do.  In one lab, we got to use different chemicals and mix them together.  That was very interesting because we never really get to use real chemicals on a daily basis and I find that very interesting.  Many people find these labs interesting too because once we got to dissect owl pellets.   In my opinion, the hardest subject would be doing Language Arts writing, because personally I don’t really have that much experience with writing, before I came to HKIS, so it was really hard to write a good essay.  However, writing may not be hard for anyone else, it is just my opinion.  There isn’t really any “non challenging” subjects because, basically everything has some kind of challenge within it.  Tips for success are probably to take notes during class, because that can be really helpful and to stay focused, because some things in math are confusing at first.    In all, 6th grade is pretty fun, however one thing I would change, is a little less homework because there are many who have extracurricular classes and it may be slightly stressing for those to have a lot of homework.  Other than that, I feel that there is nothing really to change.

Dear Next Year’s grade 7 Math & Science Teachers,

As for me, I think my best learning style is to use diagrams when doing science, because I am more of a visual thinker.  As for motivation, I am pretty self-motivated, so I think you can just tell me all my flaws so I can improve without hesitating or sugar coating anything.  As for studying for a test I just re-read and re-write out everything I learn until I understand it fully, I also create questions and answer them by writing them on a piece of paper.  Other than that, I like to write down everything  have learnt in both math and science on a piece of paper in “learning log” form, because I feel it is that that really helps me understand.  A few activities I have done and I hope to do more in 7th grade is probably learning logs, because not only do they allow me to show what I have learnt to the teacher so she/he can help me find all my errors and ways I can improve but it also helps me revise and do more reading if I am stuck on the learning log.  I have also enjoyed the labs because I enjoy doing science and actually seeing what happens and how it relates to the world.  My one and only fear of going into seventh grade is that I won’t be able to learn as much as I had hoped and cant develop deeper understanding to the main concept in math class due other reasons,because if I don’t I am afraid that I will not be able to fully understand and be able to elaborate on calculus classes in the future; since calculus is a major part in college, if I don’t do good in calculus classes, it may lower my chances of pursuing my dream job.  However, I still think that that issue is not much of a problem because I also enjoy doing more research outside of the curriculum.   To be honest, I find math and science very fascinating, mainly because of the abstract and conglomerate link between math and science.   My main goal for the coming year is to be able to find the fundamental core of math and science.  Another goal is probably to exceed the standards, not only based on the school curriculum but based on what I think I am capable of in math and also science.  My final goal is probably to be able to REALLY understand math itself and to be able to amplify and develop my knowledge to a different level and that is to really think about the whole world using the infinite wonders math.