Click Scrapbook-Properties-of-Matter- Emily Mao to see my scrapbook!
Boiling Point #1
1. I predicted that the ice would completely melt at the temperature of 0C
2.I predicted that the water would boil at 100 C
When heat is added, usually the temperature will rise. When the temperature rises, the molecules in the liquid was start to get more energy and will break free of their forms. Also, if the temperature gets colder, the space between the molecules get smaller. With that, the molecules of water will turn into ice. Check out the link here for more info —>BP-Lab1-sheet (1)
Sink or Float graph AND reflection!
As a summary, I’ve learnt when a object’s density is less than 1, it will float in water, and if it’s density is MORE than 1, it’ll sink. I’ve also learnt what density mass and volume really is. If an object sinks, it’s mass is probably much more than it’s volume, because the object’s density is calculated using the object’s mass divided by it’s volume. So if a object had a mass of 10 and a volume of 1, it’s density would be 10, so this object would float in water. If a object has a mass of 10 and a volume of 20, it’s density would be 0.5, and it would float in water. So you could probably guess that if I placed a piece of lead and some feathers that had the same amount of mass in a bucket full of water, which object would float and which object won’t.
Density and Slope Lab
- Using your graph, what would the mass of a 12 cubic cm piece of aluminum be?
- Using your graph, what would the mass of a 12 cubic cm piece of gray plastic be?
- If questions 1 and 2 referred to two equal sized pieces, then which one would be heavier? Aluminum or gray plastic?
- Which substance has the steeper graph?
- Do you think there is any connection between questions 3 and 4? Explain.
- Yes, because it shows that the steep graph shows that the volume is less and if the mass is more. And that there is more mass per volume.
- Without doing any calculations, how does the density of the gray plastic you used compare to that of aluminum? Explain your reasoning.
- The Aluminum is always heavier than the plastic and the slope is more/ more dense.
- Now calculate the densities of the aluminum and gray plastic. Which on is greater?
- The plastic
- Lead is a very dense metal. One of its uses is for fishing weights. On your graph, sketch in a line showing your best guess about what would result from measuring mass and volume of several pieces of lead. Label the line with the word lead.
- On your graph, sketch in a line showing your best guess about what would result from measuring mass and volume of several pieces of plastic foam. Label the line with the word ‘foam’.
Properties of Matter
Here is the link that leads you to my worksheet:
Click here: Science Vocab