Its My Idea: Re-organisation of the slack wall in room 315B
For my project, I decided to redesign the organisational structure in room 315B.
This is the current slack wall that is used to store tools:
We saw that this type of organisation wasn’t ideal, so Naomi and I decided to redesign the boxes and bars that were used to store the items.
First, we had to make our plan.
We drew out our possible designs on a sheet of blank paper, brainstorming ideas that we could use in our final designs.
Then, we used a tape measure to precisely measure the measurements of the tools so that we could design our pieces to fit the tools.
First, we decided to measure screwdrivers.
Then, we used our design from the paper and the measurements we took to create a model on SketchUp.
SketchUp is an app that you can use to make 3D models. It is a 3D modelling software.
After putting the model that we drew onto the laptop, this is what it looked like:
We then continued to export this into an .x3g file, the file format that the MakerBot could read so it could print.
This is a video of the MakerBot printing the first draft of our screwdriver holder.
About half way through the printing of the first draft, I realised that we had some design issues.
We measured the diameters of the holes, but we didn’t consider the fact that the spacing of the holes would be an issue. We wanted the screwdrivers to hang by their handles like this:
Our issue was that the distance between the holes (depicted by the green arrow above) was too small, and that the screwdrivers couldn’t fit since the handles would clash against each other, even though the blades of the screwdriver could fit.
We learnt from our mistakes, and spaced the holes 4cm apart, more than enough space for the screwdrivers to fit. This is our second draft:
Afterwards, we again exported it to an .x3g file, placed it on the SD card, and printed it out.
This is the part one of the IMI post series. The second will be posted later as a summative.