This is the sequel part to the formative post.
For the main screwdrivers, we had 2 sizes and 3 colors. We had red, blue, and green screwdrivers. We also had two sizes; one size with a hole diameter of 5mm and the other at 9mm. Here are the pictures of the different colored and sized screwdrivers:
After measuring the dimensions, we decided that we could print the same design for the 9mm screwdrivers and the same design for the 5mm screwdrivers. The same size would have the same design, but they would be colored according to the color of the screwdriver.
(This post skips directly to the second draft, as the first post already covers the first draft) After we realised that the holes for the screwdrivers were too close together, we proceeded to move the holes farther apart so that all the screwdrivers could fit inside. We designed them again, but ended up with many failures before we got the ‘perfect’ model. One of them had a big triangular hole in it, the other one just didn’t print holes for the screwdrivers at all. They are shown below.
For the scissors, we used sketchup (again) and designed two poles attached to the backboard which will have each handle of the scissor go in one pole. Here is what it looked like on the computer:
For this project, we only had one draft since we design and measurements went along together. We printed it out using the 3D printer, which took 5 hours; 3 hours longer than the screwdrivers. This is what it looked like when it was done:
As you may see above, we had to use the hot glue gun to re-glue the poles to the base board.
This is because the bond between the base board and the poles wasn’t strong enough, so they broke off. We couldn’t really do much with the design either, because if we made the poles thicker, the scissors wouldn’t be able to fit on the holder.
In the end, this scissors holder works and this is what it looks like with the scissors on it.
When we printed the scissors, we did it afterschool. When it came to the time to leave, we decided to turn the printer off whilst it was printing, causing us to lose one and a half hours worth of printing. At the end, we were only left with a unfinished portion of the base board.
Another holder we designed was the matrix screwdriver holder. The matrix screwdrivers are screwdrivers designed to be used for the matrix robotics system. Here are what the screwdrivers look like:
We printed a similar holder as the normal screwdriver holder, but we made the holes wider in diameter to be able to take in the blue area since that would be where we would hang it by:
Designing the matrix screwdriver on sketchup was probably one of the hardest things we had to design in this project. We had multiple revisions:
In the end, the matrix screwdriver didn’t turn out well when we tried to print it, so we are currently revising the design so that it will print out normally on the printer.
Zipties and Stationery Holder
The last thing we decided to design was a holder for stationery (pens, markers, pencils etc…) and zipties (cable ties).
We first designed it out on the whiteboard, having the same design for both the stationery and zipties but just with different dimensions:
We basically decided to make it a box that is split into three different compartments:
The design looked good on sketchup, so we proceeded to print it out.
We were obviously wrong, because this is what we got when we printed the zipties:
It was weirdly printed, with one compartment a triangle instead of a rectangle and another compartment that was completely gone. We knew that something was wrong with the design, so we started to redesigned it. We are currently redesigning it, so it isn’t finished yet.
Moving on to the stationery holder:
This was expected to be finished within 20 hours spread over a 2-3 day time period, since we had to stop the printer afterschool as 3D printer fires may start.
At lunch time on the second day, I went in to check in on the progress that it had made since PCG. I discovered that someone either pulled the plug out of the socket, or turned the machine off. When you turn off the MakerBot during printing, you will not be able to resume, meaning that Naomi and I lost nearly 16 hours of work due to one person’s mistake. We never found out who did it. We are currently printing another one to replace it.
Overall, this project was a great success even though we didn’t finish our project wasn’t completed (printing, all designing was done). I am proud since students in the next semester and after that will be using the organizers that Naomi and I designed for a very long time.
As for the printing, Naomi and I will take turns coming Wednesdays after school during ‘The Mess’ in semester 2 to finish the printing. Mr. Lea will get the aluminium parts to fit to the organisers so they can hang on the wall.
I believe that by February, we will be done with printing and the organisers will be hanging on the wall for usage.