For the interview project that I had to conduct, I decided to choose a topic about the food at HKIS and the pricing. My partners for this project were Sheel, Carlos, and Olivia.
Before we even started this project, we decided to brainstorm some ideas for what bothered us. Even though I came up with many ideas and wrote them all down on sticky notes, something I was really annoyed with at this school was the cafeteria. Because I kinda had a passion for food and the food at this school, I decided to work in the group that would be conducting interviews with people concerning the school food here at HKIS.
One of the first tasks that the four of us had to complete was to create a questionnaire with the questions that we wanted to ask people so we would be prepared when we actually went to interview the person. Ms. Mok advised us to try and have open ended questions that would require an abstract answer, as opposed to a closed question that had a ‘yes or no’ answer. This way, we could have more specific opinions rather than just yes or no.
Even though this was the first and probably one of the easiest tasks, our group still struggled with coming up with good questions. We also did have some disputes within the group, which meant there was some misunderstanding as to what questions were good and which ones weren’t. Also, at one point of our development, our group values quantity over quality, so there were a lot of questions in our questionnaire; but they were all yes or no questions.
After Ms. Mok’s opinion and further revision, we finally got a decent number of questions that would help us to have more useful results. Instead of having yes or no answers, these questions asked for answers that students had to come up with themselves.
In order for us to try and interview multiple people at the same time, we decided to pour all of our questions into one common google doc. This way, we can all use our phones and laptops to go out and ask people questions separately. This way, we could have more results that would give us a more clear and detailed end result and consensus.
We also ended up recording the results on the same document, so we could easily access out results and the questions at the same time on the same document.
We took full advantage of being able to interview many people at the same time, so we decided to split into pairs of two so that we can interview more people.
When we interviewed people, we made sure that we took good detailed notes and quotes from their answers. When I was making my Pecha Kucha, I realized how important it really was to keep quotes since they are more reliable and are the exact answers that were given by people.
When I was making my Pecha Kucha, I also faced many difficulties. One difficulty that I had to overcome was to be able to include all my content on my slide that was only 20 seconds long. This proved to be hard for me because I usually like to add extra details and descriptions in order to make it more clear. With a timed presentations for only 20 seconds, I was not able to add these details because I wouldn’t have enough time to address some of the real issues. I also had to find a way to write a script that was easily memorizable as well as practicing many times so that it was consistently at the same pace so that the timing would always be 20 seconds every time I practiced.
After reviewing my presentation many times, I realized that I had too many slides concerning what the likes and the dislikes were towards the cafeteria food here. I spent most of my 20 slides on addressing what the problem was, and not how to solve them. In the end, I only had one to two slides that I could use in order to tell my audience what my proposal was to solve the problem.
I found out what I needed to work on in my presentation, so I decided to solve the problem. I decided to summarize my points more concisely so I could combine two or more slides into one. This way, I could have more slides in order to tell the audience what I plan on doing in order to solve the problem with the food at HKIS.